The Trinidad-Westhaven Integrated Coastal Watershed Management Plan (Watershed Plan) identifies water quality problems and outlines practical, community oriented solutions to these problems and provides information and resources to support efforts in the following areas:
- To improve local water quality & supplies in the Trinidad-Westhaven coastal watersheds
- To respond to regulatory requirements
- To improve human well-being and the ecological health of the region
- To reduce polluted runoff to our creeks, beaches and Trinidad Bay & coastal waters
- To protect the important kelp beds designated as the Trinidad Head Area of Special Biological Significance (ASBS)
- To provide a basis for seeking future grant funding for identified projects on a priority basis
The Watershed Plan is a working document that will be periodically updated in response to new information and shifting priorities. Local stakeholders and community members are committed to the stewardship of their watersheds and protecting the shared resources of the Trinidad Bay ASBS.
For many years, a small group of Trinidad and Westhaven community members have been dedicated to improving habitat and water quality conditions in the Trinidad Bay watersheds. In 2005, following the State’s prohibition of discharge into the Trinidad Bay Area of Special Significance, these community members were joined by local agencies and other Trinidad Bay stakeholders to analyze and address the issues affecting water quality in the region.
The Trinidad Bay Watershed Partners worked together with the community from 2006 – 2008 in a collaborative process to develop a plan – the Trinidad-Westhaven Integrated Coastal Watershed Management Plan to guide future efforts. Plan partners conducted detailed watershed assessment with wastewater, stormwater and sediment analyses, then identified a number of key management issues under the general headings of water quality, water supply, stormwater management, watershed management, groundwater management, and ecosystems and habitat. Six public meetings were held during the two year planning process to educate and engage the community in in the development of the watershed plan. The watershed plan outlines a comprehensive set of goals and management objectives for the Trinidad-Westhaven planning area and priority projects to address the key management issues.
Trinidad Bay Watershed Partners
Westhaven Community Services District